Imagine walking to the foot of Broadway in the decade before the Civil War. Newburgh was still a village. The harbor was full of sloops and schooners. The clop of horse hooves was heard moving in every direction. Wagons hauled every kind of material along the wide dirt road: bales of hay, bars of iron, bags of flour, yards of cloth, sacks of groceries and so much more. Among the wagonloads of goods were pedestrians wending their way among herds of pigs and sheep.
In our Mid-Hudson region, we are fortunate that some touchstones of actual 18th century life are still extant. Washington’s Headquarters in downtown Newburgh is one. Knox’s Headquarters and Edmonston House in Vails Gate are two more. The cast blue and gold state historic markers along our roads hint that we had many more sites that …
Algonquin Park, previously known as Orange Mills, produced Black Powder from 1815 to 1901. The natural water supply provided power for the machinery needed to power the mills. The park provides a look back during this period of powder making and its role in the lives of the people of the community.
Receive updates on upcoming events, history and news, volunteer activities, and more!
Sundays: 1-4 pm or by appointment
Season runs from April through October.
The Newburgh Historical Society is a member supported organization. Membership benefits for the Society are varied and help the Museum continue to fulfill its mission of education, historic preservation and community outreach.
The Newburgh Historical Society receives no federal, state, or municipal funding except through competitive, project-based grants. Your donation helps support our mission of education and preservation.
NEWS & HISTORY
During their Annual Meeting this weekend, the Newburgh Historical Society kicks off a lecture series highlighting the hunt in historical research. The Historical Society receives many research inquiries throughout the year and although the organization is a logical first step, this two part series explores additional research methods and tools as they examine two popular themes this past year – home and water.
In our Mid-Hudson region, we are fortunate that some touchstones of actual 18th century life are still extant. Washington’s Headquarters in downtown Newburgh is one. Knox’s Headquarters and Edmonston House in Vails Gate are two more. The cast blue and gold state historic markers along our roads hint that we had many more sites that … Continue reading Back to Our Colonial Roots
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands has announced that the privately owned Nicoll House, perhaps the oldest house in New Windsor, will be available for tours on Saturday, September 1st. This will be a rare opportunity to visit this 1730’s farmhouse built along the Moodna Creek on the sight of the first … Continue reading Historic Nicoll House Available for Tours on Labor Day Weekend
Join the Newburgh Brewing Company for an afternoon fundraiser on Sunday August 19. Drink beer, wine, or soda and have some great food for a good cause. Historians and preservationists will be wandering around, admiring the splendid adaptive re-use of the old paper box factory building. The Brewery’s cheerful and experienced staff will serve you, but they are generously donating all tips collected between 1pm and 4pm to benefit the Historical Society.
By Mary McTamaney Labor Day weekend just marked the end of summer vacation for most people. Soon school and work will consume everyone’s days. A few lucky families may plan winter holiday breaks to Florida or out into the warmer ocean currents on cruises into the Caribbean and beyond.
By Mary McTamaney One hundred eight years ago this week, ten thousand people gathered along the shore at Newburgh just where the modern boat launch meets the gates to the former Consolidated Iron Works scrap yard. That was the location of the great Marvel Shipyards where vessels of many types were designed and built in … Continue reading Proudly Launching A Newburgh Giant
By Mary McTamaney Last week, I sighed as I backed into an easy curbside parking place and walked to the Downing Film Center on Front Street to watch the simulcast performance of a great American play, A View From The Bridge by Arthur Miller. Seeking a parking place near the Newburgh waterfront will soon be … Continue reading The Once-Crowded Waterfront
By Mary McTamaney For all those who reminisce about Newburgh’s past: the bustle of its downtown neighborhoods, the friendliness of passersby, the variety of things to do, the beauty of looking out on the river and the joy of riding out on the water, know that all that is back. In this 300th birthday year, … Continue reading Back Out On The River
Algonquin Park, previously known as Orange Mills, produced Black Powder from 1815 to 1901. The natural water supply provided power for the machinery needed to power the mills. The park provides a look back during this period of powder making and its role in the lives of the people of the community. Join a guided … Continue reading Photo Gallery: Algonquin Park walking tour reference photos
As an industrial complex for the manufacture of black powder throughout most of the nineteenth century, Orange Mills in Newburgh was designed to withstand destruction by accidental explosion. Workers in the wooded acres along Powder Mill Road carefully combined volatile ingredients that were refined into gunpowder which they packed and shipped around the country. Machinery, … Continue reading Preservation group leads walking tour of Algonquin Park