Of all Newburgh’s galaxy of brilliant and distinguished clergy-men of other days, perhaps the most outstanding was Dr. John Brown, for many years rector of St. George’s. He occupied its pulpit from 1815 to 1878 and was both beloved and admired. He was a man of great activity and business ability, and his sagacity and acumen gave him an influence in the village far beyond the interests of his immediate parish. He owned the land on which were erected the quaint and beautiful houses always know as “Quality Row,” and lived in one of those houses for many years. He died in 1884, during the first year of our Society’s existence.