Photo Gallery: Algonquin Park walking tour reference photos

Algonquin Park, previously known as Orange Mills, produced Black Powder from 1815 to 1901. The natural water supply provided power for the machinery needed to power the mills. The park provides a look back during this period of powder making and its role in the lives of the people of the community. Join a guided tour on Saturday, June 16th, to learn more about the history of the mill and how it was produced right here within this beautiful environment. Continue reading

Preservation group leads walking tour of Algonquin Park

As an industrial complex for the manufacture of black powder throughout most of the nineteenth century, Orange Mills in Newburgh was designed to withstand destruction by accidental explosion. Workers in the wooded acres along Powder Mill Road carefully combined volatile ingredients that were refined into gunpowder which they packed and shipped around the country. Machinery, powered by the Quassaick Creek that winds through the property, was carefully operated from a slight distance. Wood and copper tools were used to avoid unwanted sparks, and stone structures were built with thick walls intended to redirect explosive forces. Accidents were unavoidable and the mill survived twenty explosions over the course of its operation. Many of those explosions were heard and felt miles away. Now, over a century since it closed, Orange Mills is being reclaimed by nature. Continue reading