NEWBURGH, NY – According to the Newburgh Historical Society, the topic of growing up in Newburgh has drawn much attention this summer since the opening of a community exhibit on the same theme.
On September 20th, a panel made up of Newburgh citizens and exhibit donors will come together to discuss their experiences through the images they contributed, assisting the Society with meeting the exhibit mission of “fostering an appreciation for the past by evoking nostalgia.”Nostalgia was indeed evoked as the community let the Society into their photo albums and toy rooms. Over 120 images captured from the 19th century through the 20th century, a film and toys were collected. Since the opening, new photographs continue to make their way to the Society and will be exhibited similarly in the future. Teachers were inspired to lead field trips through and others used the exhibit as a basis for creative writing lesson plans.
At the start of this project, Russell Lange, panel moderator and curator of the exhibit, expressed, “This is an exhibit we can build together as a community to tell our story.”
The public is invited to sit in on the discussion and discover why the panel feels this project was important to them in telling their story. The discussion will begin at 2:00 p.m. at the Newburgh Heritage Center, located on 123 Grand Street in Newburgh.
Admission is $5 per person and free to members of the Society. For more information please call (845) 561-2585 or visit their website, newburghhistoricalsociety.com.
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands was launched unofficially when the Hasbrouck House (Washington’s Headquarters Newburgh) was in danger of demolition after the Revolutionary War. The current Society, incorporated in 1884, has always been an advocate for Newburgh’s history. The Society’s headquarters, 1830 Captain David Crawford House, was purchased in 1954 to save it from demolition and symbolizes their dedication to preserving and protecting Newburgh’s assets.
The Crawford House, a historic house museum and Society’s headquarters, located at 189 Montgomery Street within the City of Newburgh’s Historic District is open for tours on Sundays between 1:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. or by appointment. View the “Growing Up In Newburgh” exhibit, a community exhibit featuring the photographs and memories of Newburgh from the 19th century through the 20th century. For more information about admission, tours, or programming please call (845) 561-2585.