NEWBURGH, NY – The month of October marks the 200th year since the birth of Andrew Jackson Downing, whose writings and life’s work has had a great impact on the landscape of the Hudson Valley. The Newburgh Historical Society is wrapping up a season motivated by the accomplishments of this Newburgh native during their annual meeting.
On October 18th starting at 1 p.m. and taking place at the Society’s headquarters, the Captain David Crawford House, members of the Board of Managers will come together to review another successful year and welcome new members to the Board.
At 2 p.m., the Society’s Director, Matthew Colon, will deliver the talk, “The Popular Andrew Jackson Downing,” examining the career of this influential horticulturist, landscape architect and writer.Since joining the Society in 2014, Matthew has been researching the life of Newburgh’s “famous son,” his influences and also what the public can recall about him today. To prepare for his presentation, he completed a history survey about the landscape designer with 100 members of the public strolling through the memorial Downing Park.
Following the presentation will be a small reception and tours of the historic house.
The Crawford House is located on 189 Montgomery Street in Newburgh. Admission is $5 per person and free to members of the Society. For more information please call (845) 561-2585 or visit their website, newburghhistoricalsociety.com.
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands was launched unofficially when the Hasbrouck House (Washington’s Headquarters Newburgh) was in danger of demolition after the Revolutionary War. The current Society, incorporated in 1884, has always been an advocate for Newburgh’s history. The Society’s headquarters, 1830 Captain David Crawford House, was purchased in 1954 to save it from demolition and symbolizes their dedication to preserving and protecting Newburgh’s assets.
The Crawford House, a historic house museum and Society’s headquarters, located at 189 Montgomery Street within the City of Newburgh’s Historic District is open for tours on Sundays between 1:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. or by appointment. View the “Growing Up In Newburgh” exhibit, a community exhibit featuring the photographs and memories of Newburgh from the 19th century through the 20th century. For more information about admission, tours, or programming please call (845) 561-2585.