NEWBURGH, NY – During the first part of their partnership, over 100 members of the public joined the Newburgh Historical Society and St. George’s Episcopal Church for a tour through the historic St. George’s Cemetery, founded in 1838 by the subject of a new talk, the Rev. John Brown.
The second part of the joint program continues on August 2nd at 3:00 p.m. with the history talk titled, “A Man for Our Time: The Rev. Dr. John Brown, D.D.,” presented by Madelaine Piel, historian, genealogist and a Rev. Brown descendant.The Rev. John Brown’s life spanned the birth of the nation and through the Gilded Age. He founded the Newburgh Horticultural Society, was involved in the founding of St. Luke’s Hospital, welcomed American Revolutionary War General Lafayette during his visit to America in 1824, and from his garden on First Street bloomed the historic neighborhood known as “Quality Row.”
Madelaine Piel is a member of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, served as its Vice Chair and as a member of its Board of Trustees. She is also a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists. While researching her own family’s genealogy, Piel discovered she is a descendant of the influential reverend.
The talk will take place in the John Brown Room of St. George’s Church, located on 105 Grand Street, Newburgh. Admission is $5 per person and money collected will be directed to the care of St. George’s Cemetery. Reservations are suggested.
Please call (845) 561-2585 or visit their website, http://newburghhistoricalsociety.com/, to make a reservation. Additional information about the event and directions may be found on the Society’s website.
Refreshments will be provided by the St. George’s Cemetery Committee.
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands was launched unofficially when the Hasbrouck House (Washington’s Headquarters Newburgh) was in danger of demolition after the Revolutionary War. The current Society, incorporated in 1884, has always been an advocate for Newburgh’s history. The Society’s headquarters, 1830 Captain David Crawford House, was purchased in 1954 to save it from demolition and symbolizes their dedication to preserving and protecting Newburgh’s assets.
The Crawford House, a historic house museum and Society’s headquarters, located at 189 Montgomery Street within the City of Newburgh’s Historic District is open for tours on Sundays between 1:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. or by appointment. View the “Growing Up In Newburgh” exhibit, a community exhibit featuring the photographs and memories of Newburgh from the 19th century through the 20th century. For more information about admission, tours, or programming please call (845) 561-2585.
↓ Download Image
Caption: Rev. John Brown, Rector of St. George’s Church from 1815 to 1878.
↓ Download Image
Caption: Architectural drawing of St. George’s Church, courtesy of The Episcopal Diocese of New York.