During their Annual Meeting this weekend, the Newburgh Historical Society kicks off a lecture series highlighting the hunt in historical research. The Historical Society receives many research inquiries throughout the year and although the organization is a logical first step, this two part series explores additional research methods and tools as they examine two popular themes this past year – home and water.
On Sunday afternoon, October 21st, architectural historian James Kelly will present, “Researching Newburgh’s Historic Buildings: Tools, Methods, and Resources” highlighting the special aspects of the Newburgh Historic District and explain how to research your home.
On the following Wednesday evening, October 24th , Newburgh native Adam Bosch, the director of public affairs for the New York City Department of Environmental Protection, will talk about the network of reservoirs, dams and aqueducts that deliver water to 9.6 million people every day. He will share images from the project and talk about Newburgh’s vital role in fixing the longest tunnel in the world.
The first presentation by Mr. Kelly will take place at The Newburgh Heritage Center, 123 Grand Street and will begin at 2 p.m. The second presentation by Mr. Bosch is be co-sponsored by SUNY Orange at the spacious Kaplan Hall on the Newburgh campus and will begin at 7 p.m. Both are free to the public.
For more information, please visit newburghhistoricalsociety.com or call (845) 561-2585.
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands was launched unofficially when the Hasbrouck House (Washington’s Headquarters Newburgh) was in danger of demolition after the Revolutionary War. The current Society, incorporated in 1884, has always been an advocate for Newburgh’s history. The Society’s headquarters, 1830 Captain David Crawford House, was purchased in 1954 to save it from demolition and symbolizes their dedication to preserving and protecting Newburgh’s assets.
The Crawford House, an historic house museum and Society’s headquarters, located at 189 Montgomery Street within the City of Newburgh’s Historic District is open for tours by appointment. For more information about admission, tours, or programming please call (845) 561-2585.