NEWBURGH, NY – Within the City of Newburgh’s historic district and around the corner from Washington’s Headquarters is the remarkable St. George’s Cemetery. Established in 1838, this burial ground that overlooks the Hudson River is filled with stories once lived by those interred, from the American Revolution through the present.
Both the Newburgh Historical Society and St. George’s Episcopal Church invites the public on a guided walking tour on July 12th starting at 2:00 p.m.
This half mile walk consists of 21 points of interest that includes a guard to General George Washington, a Medal of Honor recipient, a Newburgh citizen turned Confederate during the Civil War, a Southern born who fought for the Union, a doctor, entrepreneurs, religious figures, and many more.
St. George’s, a 7.5 acre cemetery, is a prize example of the 19th century rural cemetery style where the romantic practice of landscaping was essential to its design. Throughout this time period, cemeteries like St. George’s were often viewed as public spaces and lively destinations.
The tour keeps within this tradition by inviting the living to enjoy the stories of the deceased, just as was intended when the cemetery was founded 177 years ago.
Refreshments will be provided by the St. George’s Cemetery Committee. The committee will also raffle off a picnic basket filled with goods and sell other souvenirs to raise funds for the care of the historic cemetery.
The tour will start at the north gate on Washington Street at the S. Johnston Street intersection. Admission is $5 per person and reservations are suggested. Please call (845) 561-2585 or visit their website, http://www.newburghhistoricalsociety.com/, to reserve a place on the tour. Additional information about the event and parking may be found on the Society’s website.
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands was launched unofficially when the Hasbrouck House (Washington’s Headquarters Newburgh) was in danger of demolition after the Revolutionary War. The current Society, incorporated in 1884, has always been an advocate for Newburgh’s history. The Society’s headquarters, 1830 Captain David Crawford House, was purchased in 1954 to save it from demolition and symbolizes their dedication to preserving and protecting Newburgh’s assets.
The Crawford House, a historic house museum and Society’s headquarters, located at 189 Montgomery Street within the City of Newburgh’s Historic District is open for tours on Sundays between 1:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. or by appointment. View the “Growing Up In Newburgh” exhibit, a community exhibit featuring the photographs and memories of Newburgh from the 19th century through the 20th century. For more information about admission, tours, or programming please call (845) 561-2585.
↓ Download Image
Caption: Map shows 21 points on the half mile walking tour.
↓ Download Image
Caption: Old carriage ways that sweep through the cemetery will become the main paths in this history trail.