To begin immediately.
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands, based in Newburgh, NY, seeks a Director to take full daily responsibility for the administration of the organization.
The Society’s work promotes local history through public lectures and forums, displays, tours of its house museum, annual architectural tours and research assistance at its library, which is separately staffed. The Director will work with the Board of Managers and Society volunteer committees to plan and implement special events and will oversee routine work to maintain the building and furnishings of the Society’s headquarters, the 1830 Captain David Crawford House.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Keep regular office hours, including Sunday afternoons in season
- Maintain website and social media
- Pay routine monthly bills other than payroll
- Track and summarize bank accounts for the Treasurer using Quickbooks software
- Maintain membership lists and seek to build membership
- Maintain volunteer docent schedule for the Crawford House
- Format quarterly newsletter
- Perform public-relations activities that promote the Historical Society and its events
- Assist in grant tracking
- Report to the Board of Managers at one monthly evening meeting
- Be available for occasional weekend events
An Ideal Candidate will have:
- An energetic, friendly personality and experience working with group dynamics
- A demonstrated ability to network with collegial institutions
- Experience in public programming
- Bachelor’s degree with some experience in museum and/or non-profit organizations
- A love of local history and understanding of the added value it gives a community
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. As your subject heading, please use “DirectorSearch: Your Last Name.”