June 18, 2016 – May 21, 2017.
In 2016-17, the Historical Society presented an exhibit, “This Way to the Ferry,” tracing the history of the Newburgh-Beacon Ferry from its inception in 1743 to its closing upon the completion of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge in 1963. The exhibit featured photographs, paintings, documents, a video of the ferry crossing, and memorabilia from private collections and both the Beacon and Newburgh historical societies. Captions, quoting from local papers, related the experiences and memories of people who used to ride the ferries.
The ferry was established with a charter from King George II to Alexander Colden to begin and maintain a ferry system. Ownership of this charter was passed down through several owners until, in 1850, it came under the control of Homer Ramsdell and his family, who ran the ferry until 1956. The ferry helped both Newburgh and Beacon to become industrial hubs in the mid-Hudson Valley.