Exhibit: Newburgh-Beacon Ferry

June 18 – Dec 31, 2016.

The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands presents a new exhibit in its Stone Floor Gallery at the Crawford House Historical Museum. The exhibit, “This Way to the Ferry” traces the history of the Newburgh-Beacon Ferry from its inception in 1743 to its closing upon the completion of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge in 1963. The exhibit features photographs, paintings, documents, a video of the ferry crossing, and memorabilia from private collections and both the Beacon and Newburgh historical societies. Captions, quoting from local papers, relate the experiences and memories of people who used to ride the ferries.

Ferry Exhibit

The ferry was established with a charter from King George II to Alexander Colden to begin and maintain a ferry system. Ownership of this charter was passed down through several owners until, in 1850, it came under the control of Homer Ramsdell and his family, who ran the ferry until 1956. The ferry helped both Newburgh and Beacon to become industrial hubs in the mid-Hudson Valley.

The house and exhibit are open  Sundays 1-4 pm. Admission is free to members of the Beacon or Newburgh historical societies; a $5 donation is suggested for the general public. The exhibit will continue at the Crawford House for the remainder of the year. For more information please call (845) 561-2585.

Admission: $5 per person. Members are Free.

 

Directions

Use this address for the GPS: 189 Montgomery Street, Newburgh, NY 12550

From the NY State Thruway, take exit 17 (Newburgh) and take the ramp to go east on the Interstate 84. Take Interstate 84 east to exit 10. At the light, make an immediate right and get into the left lane in front of the Sunoco Station. Make a left on to North Plank Road. Follow the street down the hill, through two traffic lights, and make a right on to Montgomery Street. The Crawford House will be on the right, located at 189 Montgomery Street.

From points West, take Interstate 84 east to exit 10. At the light, make an immediate right and get into the left lane in front of the Sunoco gas station. Make a left on to North Plank Road. Follow the street down the hill, through two traffic lights, and make a right on to Montgomery Street. The Crawford House will be on the right, located at 189 Montgomery Street.

From points East, take Interstate 84 west to Exit 10s (second exit past the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge). Stay to your right off the ramp and follow it until you come to the traffic light at Route 9W (the Alexis Diner is on the left). Make a right on to 9W, and get into the left lane in front of the Sunoco gas station. Make a left on to North Plank Road. Follow the street down the hill, through two traffic lights, and make a right on to Montgomery Street. The Crawford House will be on the right, located at 189 Montgomery Street.