September 1, 2018, 1:00 or 2:30 pm.
$10 per person
Address and directions will be sent to reserved participants. Nicoll's Farm is located off US-9W in the Town of New Windsor.
Tour the restored house, barns and grounds of a family who settled 18th century New Windsor on a beautiful old farm still intact along the Moodna Creek - A Hudson Valley Ramble Weekend event. Tours at 1:00 or 2:30 pm.
Visitors to the Kowawese Unique Area at Plum Point along the Hudson River and at the mouth of the Moodna Creek, may remember a plaque there citing the presence of the first settlement in the area by Captain Patrick MacGregorie and a group of fellow Scotsmen in 1685. Actually, this settlement was established on a nearby spot along the Moodna which can be accessed today from a driveway on the east side of Route 9W just next to the Moodna Creek bridge. And it was here that Dr. John Nicoll, another native Scot, bought the land in 1734 after it had become available following the death of MacGregorie. The present house was built by Dr. Nicoll and his son John Nicoll II around that time, and the son inherited the place at the doctor’s death in 1743. There, he raised four sons: William who went off to sea; the other three remained in the area and contributed significantly in the Revolutionary War. Leonard and John III both were in the local militia fighting against the British under Captain Thomas Machin, who helped design and install the chevaux-de-frise, the wood and chain device installed to halt the British ships from sailing up the Hudson. The plan was unsuccessful, and the British warships did make it through all the way to Kingston in 1777, sending canon balls into the settlements along the River and eventually burning Kingston, the capital of New York at the time. The cannonballs missed the Nicoll house, fortunately. Meanwhile Issac, the third brother, not only helped to build the battery on Plum Point to defend against the British, but he became the Sheriff of Orange County and helped to capture the notorious Tory outlaw Claudius Smith, bringing him to trial in Goshen where he was hanged.
Visits to the historic eighteenth century farm will be limited to two tours of 25 people. Please use the following buttons to make a reservation. Directions and additional information will be distributed by email. If your prefer to reach someone by phone, please call (845) 561-2585.
Admission: $10 per person