Visitors to Newburgh's Historic District are awed by its architecture and its views of the Hudson River. For over thirty years, supporters from all over have joined the Newburgh Historical Society in celebrating a treasured architectural history during the annual Candlelight Tour of Homes. The self-guided tour will take place this year on Sunday, December 13, between 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. The authentically decorated 1830 Captain David Crawford House, the Society’s headquarters located at 189 Montgomery Street, is the starting place for the Tour. The house tour features a diverse assortment of over a dozen public and private spaces within and beyond the City of Newburgh’s East End Historic District. This includes mansions, estates, structures in the rehabilitation process, new construction, architectural gems and some of Newburgh’s most important landmarks.
The month of October marks the 200th year since the birth of Andrew Jackson Downing, whose writings and life’s work has had a great impact on the landscape of the Hudson Valley. The Newburgh Historical Society is wrapping up a season motivated by the accomplishments of this Newburgh native during their annual meeting.
The Greater Hudson Heritage Network has announced the Newburgh Historical Society as the recipient of two Awards for Excellence in recognition of the community collaboration and documentation for the exhibit, “Growing Up in Newburgh,” and the partnership with St. George’s Episcopal Church for their 2015 co-sponsored events.
During the early years of the nineteenth century, the Hudson Valley was the “breadbasket of the United States,” which was one historian’s way of describing the rise of commercial agriculture. A high demand for American foodstuffs by Europe led thousands of farmers to migrate to New York, taking advantage of the fertile land west of the Hudson River and a close proximity to the markets of New York City.
According to the Newburgh Historical Society, the topic of growing up in Newburgh has drawn much attention this summer since the opening of a community exhibit on the same theme. On September 20th, a panel made up of Newburgh citizens and exhibit donors will come together to discuss their experiences through the images they contributed, assisting the Society with meeting the exhibit mission of “fostering an appreciation for the past by evoking nostalgia.”
The Hudson Valley tradition of croquet continues on August 16th between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. with the annual tournament at Newburgh’s beautiful Downing Park. Registration opens at 12:00 p.m. and players are encouraged to come in pairs or be paired upon arrival. The tournament is sponsored by the Newburgh Historical Society, the Newburgh Preservation Association and the Downing Park Planning Committee, who’ve found the event to be a successful way of promoting outdoor recreation, history and preservation. Admission is $5 per player and spectators are welcome. Refreshments will be available to purchase. Money raised will benefit future tournaments. Please call (845) 561-2585 or visit the Historical Society’s website, http://newburghhistoricalsociety.com/, for more information, including directions and parking.
The second part of the joint program by the Newburgh Historical Society and St. George’s Episcopal Church continues on August 2nd at 3:00 p.m. with a history talk about the Rev. John Brown. During the first part of their partnership, over 100 members of the public toured through the historic St. George’s Cemetery, which was founded by the Rev. Brown in 1838. The talk, “A Man for Our Time: The Rev. Dr. John Brown, D.D.,” will be presented by Madelaine Piel, historian, genealogist and a Rev. Brown descendant.
Both the Newburgh Historical Society and St. George’s Episcopal Church invites the public on a guided walking tour on July 12th starting at 2:00 p.m. This half mile walk consists of 21 points of interest that includes a guard to General George Washington, a Medal of Honor recipient, a Newburgh citizen turned Confederate during the Civil War, a Southern born who fought for the Union, a doctor, entrepreneurs, religious figures, and many more.
The Newburgh Historical Society will open the historic Captain David Crawford House during the June 20th city-wide event, Newburgh Illuminated. Between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. members of the public are welcome to join guided tours through the 1830 house, view a unique collection and the recently opened exhibit, “Growing Up In Newburgh.”